Sunday, February 08, 2004

BIG TEN TIME!


Tonight I am going to share some of my favorite links. Not to worry. I'll keep it to five.

First up, is your portal to most any scientific information. Yes, it's Martindale's Desk Reference. There is a lot more than just pages and pages of links to science sites. But that is why I primarily use it. This truly is a meta site. Truly.

New Scientist is always a good bet. But I like The BBC's science portal better. There are links to BBC Main, and BBC Science News right on the page. Good stuff.

Going truly geeky on your ass now.(in a most manly way of course)Ace's Hardware is not only a great place to learn about the latest developments in personal/enterprise computer processors, but I like to hang out in the tech. forums. It is, after all, what I do for work.

DSL Reports is not only a good place to get DSL information, but all manner of high-speed networking information can be found there.

Ever have a 200 letter URL you need to shorten? I know I do. Well, Tiny URL is the place to shorten those ponderous addresses. I know that there are a couple of other similar services, but Tiny is the that I use.

Okay, five down, five to go.

******************************

Two of the most creative web API developers that generously offer their work under one or another of the GP licenses*, are Aaron Boodman of Youngpup.net and Arvidsson and Ecklund at Web FX. Very creative folks.

I'm counting that as one.

Do you ever stump your word processor? I know that I do. Dictionary.com should be able to help.

Sure, Google is the biggest textual search engine. However, All the Web has nearly as many indexed pages and has a larger number of images indexed. This is also AltaVista. A cool thing about All the Web is that it is easily styled via a linked style sheet. I'll let you figure out how to use this to make it appear that ATW is an integrated part of your website. If you email me, I'll tell you how to do it. Link exchange required! :)

******************************

The next two -- which I will also count as one -- reflect my passion for drag racing. It's not the racing, it's the engineering that I really enjoy. Racing Junk and Dragbike are amongst my favorite places to window(Windows?) shop.

Okay, now that you know I'm both a chiphead and a gearhead, that's all the personal info. I'm giving out. :)

Last one!

If you're reading this, chances are strong that you're a media hound. I'd like to think I was otherwise, but I know better.

Editor and Publisher is a good source of material that the major media either doesn't report, or underreports. While not quite the watchdog that FAIR.org is, they have lots of links to relevant issue about honesty and ethics in journalism.
Check 'em both out.


*Essentially freeware, with a limited number of conditions. See "GP" link above, or download a bit of software and see the disclaimer statements.

******************************


A bit of a different format tonight. I hope that some of you finf something of value in tonight's ten.

No comments :