Thursday, November 10, 2005

Update on NH Audubon's Fiasco
First - and reprinted with permission of the author Ms. Ruth Smith, comes this dignified response to her dismissal from the NH Chapter of The Audubon Society:
I lost my job but still have my passion

By: RUTH SMITH

For the Monitor

It is my turn to say a deep and heartfelt thanks to each of you who has written to the editor, called, emailed, sent a card, greeted me with hugs or held me in your thoughts since I and seven others were laid off from New Hampshire Audubon.


I appreciate the support, affirmation and love that have come my way. In spite of being callously severed from a job that I loved and dedicated nearly 18 years of my life to, I feel blessed to be part of this remarkable community, which values strong connections with the earth and each other and is willing to speak out for those values.

Many have asked where I am. I'm harvesting my garden, stacking wood and painting my new "environmentally friendly"house in Canterbury as I listen to see where I'm being called to next. For parents concerned about what my layoff teaches their children, I share with you lessons I've gained from these chores.

From the potato patch I have observed that as you sow, shall you reap. Each potato planted in the spring produced many new potatoes. As I dig them up, I discover small ones, large ones and some in surprising places, each with the potential to produce more potatoes. My teaching has been like that through the years, but I am reaping a rich harvest now through the incredible support I'm receiving. Yet my work is fulfilled only when those whom I've reached pass on what they've learned. Keep it going.

The woodpile reminds me that living trees must be cut down to warm my home. Some things must end for new beginnings to occur. My time at Audubon is over, but there is much warmth yet to create. Spreading warmth through connections and community is something we all can do.

The walls of my new home are becoming brighter with paint. Paint covers many things, yet if the wallboard is damaged, paint will not improve it. The lesson here seems to be that we must not be fooled by outward appearances when deeper repairs are needed. As I've taught over the years, it is important to be a careful observer, think critically, ask tough questions.

One question worth asking is: Where is Audubon's mission? For many I was the face of Audubon, but Audubon is so much bigger than one person or one department. Its mission is at the heart of what many of us cherish about New Hampshire, and it must continue.

If you are angry over the decisions and actions of Audubon's management, there are many appropriate responses. Whether you end your contributions in protest or stand by the hardworking staff who remain is a personal choice. The key is to act and to speak out for what you care about.

I have tried to be a role model in this way because I truly believe the message on my license plate: "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not." (From The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss). My job was not just to teach about nature but also to build relationships. I look forward to continuing those relationships with many of you as we keep caring, learning and working for what we believe in. Thanks again for sharing and enriching my journey.


We, well really it's just me now, isn't it - first reported on this travesty here.

Since then, the Concord Monitor has been inundated with letters from donors of both time and money to the NH Audubon Society. Many of the letter writers are withdawing suport from The Society. Nearly all of the balance of the rest of the letters published over the last two weeks are written by people still sitting on the fence as to whether or not withdraw their support.

I'd provide links to the Op-ed page letters, but The Monitor requires a paid subsciption to view any item over 7 days old. *sigh*

No comments :