Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Bush A Casualty?

If you extrapolate Lunaville's Official 'Casualty' Count you'll quickly discover that this month is likely to be the deadliest yet for American troops in Iraq.

It is also likely to be one of the bloodiest for Iraqis.

Just off the wire is news that Hazem al-Aaraji a reported al-Sadr aide, and prominent Shi'ite cleric has been detained.

Update: Reuters is reporting that al-Aaraji has been released after questioning.

The situation is intense, and apparently very fluid in Baghdad, Najaf, Fallujah and Kerbala, with al-Sadr's al-Mahdi militia reportedly still in control of Najaf and Kerbala.

The U.S. plan to kill or capture al-Sadr and "destroy his militia" - that has been providing needed services - isn't likely to win the 'hearts and minds' of the Iraqi people.

It's as simple as dirt. The Iraqis are acting precisely as I hope we would act if an army invaded the U.S. and occupied the country.

The Iraqis do not trust the IGC, and Bremer doesn't appear to have any support at all. I fear that things are going to get far worse before they get better in Iraq.

I have a couple of accounts from Fallujah that I'll put up as .mp3s from the last couple of days. I'm working a crazy schedule, so it may be a couple of days before I get them sorted and uploaded.

I have a friend that is a foreign desk editor for the AP working in the region, and she tells me that all the reports that are coming in are almost surreal. U.S. troops "acting way outside of international conventions" is really distressing to her. It bothers me greatly as well.

WTF was Bush thinking? A$$hole.

Regime change begins at home.

Bush's re-election bid should be a casualty of the Iraq war redux.

(I know that this entry is a lot more pointed and shrill than nearly all of my other entries, but I do have emotions....honest! :)

No comments :