Saturday, December 27, 2003

Dean and that Evil Liberal Media

That liberal media again..sheesh will they stop at nothing?!?!

Let's discuss Howard Dean for a moment. Well, I'll pontificate, you can leave if you wish. Dean is receiving the very same treatment that gore did in 2000 after he won the primary. There seems to be an uproar over some comments Dean made about Osama bin Laden. I have inside information as I'm in Concord, NH and have seen Dean literally dozens of times. I have also talked at length to some of the Concord Monitor reporters covering the primary.

The current brouhaha is over some words Dean used when asked by Concord Monitor reporter Lisa Wangsness about his foreign policy positions.

Here is the quote that is causing so much hand-wringing:

"I've resisted pronouncing a sentence before guilt is found. I still have this old-fashioned notion that even with people like Osama, who is very likely to found guilty, we should do our best not to, in positions of executive power, not to prejudge jury trials. So I'm sure that is the correct sentiment of most Americans, but I do think if you're running for president, its best to say that the full range of penalties should be available. But it's not so great to prejudge the judicial system."

Sure, the words are a little sloppy, but the position is well-reasoned. Unless I'm not mistaken rule of law and presumption of innocence are still valid concepts in America. Although post 9/11 anyone that states this -- particularly where al-Qaida is concerned -- may not be expressing the sentiment of most Americans. Osama's head on a pike, preferably sans trial is what large numbers of the populace want.

So, there are Dean's words. I'll confirm them on Monday with Ms. Wangsness.

Here is some of the backlash:

In this AP story the S.F. Gate uses the headline: "Dean not ready to pronounce Osama bin Laden guilty"

And CBS cites another AP piece, this time a phone interview where Dean is quoted as saying: "I'm just like every other American, I think the guy is outrageous. As a president, I would have to defend the process of the rule of law. But as an American, I want to make sure he gets the death penalty he deserves."

Dean is mistaken on a couple of points. First of all, Gov. Dean is not, "just like every other American." He's running for president, and rightfully or not, he's under the microscope. Secondly, although I wish it were not so, this race may come down to; "Guns, God and gays." Osama's head on a pike serves both guns and God. The media is trivializing this primary saeson so that if we are not careful, their selective coverage will appeal to our worst nature, not to reasoned intellect. And god dammit, Karl Rove and Rupert Murdoch are going to see that stays that way. Issues out, jingoism in. Glory!

That librul media. Will they stop at nothing?

No comments :