Thursday, November 06, 2014

Is Microsoft is now the most trouble free consumer mobile OS provider? Mebbe. This offer is sure to be time limited.

iOS 8 has manifold issues*, and the Android team has major battery issues. Hey, I would say go to a flavor of Linux, but that bird needs more time in the oven. Firefox--unless it is the FF browser running atop Android--is too new on which to comment. I will say that Firefox even on my pure Android tablet opens more sites than Chrome. Chrome's rather loose implementation of many HTML5 standards hangs on certain non-Flash sites. I have always disliked Flash/Shockwave(I almost typed 'hated'), but at an earlier time on the internets, it served easy animation purposes. Let us all go to SVG, and/or the JScript libraries for our neato stuff. M'kay?

At the moment, Microsoft is doing quite a few things correctly. Giving away Office for free on iOS and Android as well as almost assuredly making it free on Windows Phone is a great move.

In the phone space, Windows suffers from lots of lack of development. It works--and has GREAT battery life..are you listening over in Mountain View?--but it is clunky and even technology buffs do not seem to give it much love. In the tablet segment, where you can get a full Windows OS, it is unarguably the most utilized platform in the known universe. I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro, and it's really smooth and has a swappable battery. I use a keyboard with mine, but not one of those way overpriced accessory units.

I picked up a Logitech Bluetooth KB that was on a flash sale form Dell(imagine that) with an SD card reader on board for under 20USD.

Why people adopt consumer technology early never ceases to remand me that I am not like everyone else. I enjoy reader comments that take one side in a battle of non-wits. Just yesterday, I was reading a well balanced article about the advantages of this mobile(phone) platform versus another. One of the commenters stated(and I can add quotation marks as statements like the following burn themselves into my memory: "This is why I never bash anyone for what phone they use." I know that I live in a bubble, but really? That this statement even need be made is some kind of parallel universe thing. I can almost never be found via my cell. I only tote it when out of town.

It is abundantly clear that large swaths of American society have a pathological attachment to their mobile gadgets. Since there is no term in common use for this phenomenon, I am coining one now.

Mobiphilia n. a strongly negative, self-absorptive bond for cell phone technologies, that cause interpersonal strife, and/or other maladaptations, i.e. motor vehicle crashes.

There, now I feel accomplished..well, no, but it was fun.

*I know that much of the iOS 8 woes are linked to the iPhone 6, and just wanted my reader to understand that yes, I am aware of some things. Just not a great deal of them :)

No comments :