Wednesday, October 01, 2014

WhyPhone 6 torture test, and a bit more.

I just returned from my very own attempt to bend the both the whyPhone 6 and the 6S models. Yes, they are flexible phones. I was sort of shocked by how thin the phones are. I did not bend them beyond the rebound point, but I am certain that I easily could have done so. While I found both models to be far stiffer than their appearances would indicate, bending the phones was still very easy.

In normal use for me, I cannot see this as being an issue. My LG L34C bent more easily, but that is at most a 60USD phone. Here is where things got interesting. Whilst my el cheapo LG phone became more difficult to bend once I started to deform it, the Apples lost structural intergrity once the flexing started.

I really think that for most conscientious users, the Apple phones are not likely to give the user any issues.

On the other hand, my LG's vibration motor is now very noticeably louder. Oops. See, I was pretty hard on all three phones.

I did not think it wise to break out a machinist's straight edge to look at phone deformity while at the store, however my LG remains within 0.0025 cm of perfectly true. I can see no light leaking between the phone and the straight edge. The motor is a lot more buzzy.

Summing up: Yes, the whyPhone 6 models are flexible, but not nearly as much as Internet reports would have one believe. If I was an Apple guy, AND I already had a whyPhone model that I was happy with, I would not opt for a 6. If I was physically abusive to technology products, I would not buy one.

The only group to which I can really recommend the 6 to is the group that wants an Apple phone, and does not already have an acceptable model.

More Applesauce...

Since Apple pulled the plug on the iOS 8.0.1 update that it is safe to state that the past two weeks have not been good ones for the clan from Cupertino(you thought I was going to type cult..ha!). Apple has responded to the "bricked" whyPhone 6 update by releasing another update that Wired states fixes some stuff but leaves other nasties alone.

Microsoft gives the next iteration a name..it is a 10!, and--I think this is key--Microsoft is aiming Windows 10 directly at business/enterprise users. It is looking like one Windows for all..we shall see. For me, the promise of one set of APIs sounds great. Microsoft has screwed up before. I hope that Microsoft succeeds with the new product family. If not, it is really looking like Google with Android, search, and ostensibly free services, and no one else. Apple is pretty much a US phenomenon.

Check out the presentation. It is really pretty good. Microsoft's timing is simply that Apple and Google have shiny new stuff to look at, and Microsoft needed another focal point for the tech press. If the Windows 10 actual experience meets or exceeds the presentation, Microsoft should do just that. As long as the code executes quickly, and does not need large amounts of maintenance(i.e. disk defragmentation, manual cache clearing) Windows 10 could be a huge hit.

It seems almost unbelievable, but by the time Windows 10 is available, there could be another billion Internet users. Google is going after the next billion users..or the next 5 billion users. Betting against Google has proven to be an idea that is not so smart.

As much as I do not want Android everywhere, my wants are not in Google's best interest.

Come on Apple, come on Microsoft! That Mountain View behemoth is taking no prisoners! None!

No comments :