Monday, September 29, 2014

An odd ebola piece via WaPo, and although I am loathe to use The Huffington Post as a source, well, this is first person stuff

I think that this first piece is meant to assuage American's fears about ebola. Do people here really think that ebola is going to be a pandemic it its current guise? No doubt some do. Ebola is a bad bug for certain. But let us hold onto some perspective. Without further ado: Some good news about Ebola: It won’t spread nearly as fast as other epidemics. Well, that is pretty clear as the current EBOV outbreak has active since late in 2013, and while the infection rate has been ramping up, it is never going to be the ~17 that is ascribed to measles. It is the long, slow burn that is most troubling. I cited the author's paper when it first hit the 'Net. That seemed like an eternity ago.

Meqanwhile, in that sensationalist 'Net tabloid The Huffington Post this hit my feed a bit ago: Ebola In Sierra Leone: 'It Reminded Me Of A Conflict Zone'. A riveting first person account, replete with documentary photos. I tried to chase down the "Inside an Outbreak" series, but I see no such series on HuffPo. I did, however, find this: "Experiences From 7 People At The Front Lines Of The Ebola Crisis" Apparently the series is brand new. The photos in these two pieces are spellbinding. I should follow along but HuffPo is just too celebrity gossipy, icky, sticky for me. I'll add an RSS channel with Amanda Chan and ebola as keywords..Well, that already paid off. Here is another first person account via Ms Chan and HuffPo. Three first person accounts from the ebola frontlines via HuffPo? I thought it was all celebrity worshiping pap. I just peeked at the front page..it is ALMOST entirely ungood stuff.

Even a blind squirrel stumbles across the odd acorn now and again.

No comments :