Monday, September 01, 2014

Upload nude pics., and you're 'exposing' yourself...Der.

If you upload risque photos of yourself you may get burned. Sure, Apple has some explaining to do regarding iCloud security, but if people had less ego issues, this would not be an issue. Even if the paaswords to all these 'exposed' people were gleaned from different websites..and this is specious, Apple should use a combination of hardware authentication, as well as at least double authentication protocols. Making things simple for users also makes things simple for those that would like access to your data.

I do not like to promote software as I am developer, but using LastPass and having your passwords automatically changed every two weeks--or less frequently if you visit the site less frequently--is not a bad idea.

I am not terribly paranoid, but I now use the longest passwords a site will allow and if I lose my LastPass password, I would be pretty well screwed. Oh, my Lastpass password is updated on a 14 day schedule as well.

All public clouds are just that. Apple and others should use a three tries and lock the MAC address of the device attempting access out. There are lots of other ways to verify user credentials, but people want simplicity. This is not a good thing for security. The linked article does seem to excuse Apple, but that is foolishly premature. As of early this AM, Apple had yet to comment.

I do not know how the iCloud was compromised, and neither does the author of the article.

Remember kids, do not post nudies anywhere where they might be compromised.

On Edit: According to this ZDNet piece, Apple has patched a security flaw in the too aptly named "Find My iPhone" service. Henceforth to be known as "Find Anything About Me Via My iPhone" service.

I should offer full disclosure: I have an Android phone running KitKat, but I have everything Google related set to "Ask Me" or NFW. My Google Drive acct. has three utterly useless docs enclosed, and I don't take photos with a cell phone. I have a DSLR and two CMOS pocket cams with which to take pictures....Picasa has no privileges. I KNOW Google knows lots about me, but for now I can tolerate their draconian terms of service agreement. 'Tis a sad day when Microsoft has by far the best ToS agreement.

No comments :