Tuesday, September 02, 2014

"Man, those are some frigid bitches"

On the lighter side* it is being reported that famous Russian geckos sent into orbit to do "the nasty" have all returned freeze-dried. Some headlines are, or course, better than others. My favorite bit of journalistic hooliganism is this: Russia in Mourning over the Death of Its Space Love Geckos. Unsurprisingly to me, fruit flies..you know it just has to be Drosophila melanogaster...on the same flight did not expire. I had to breed those little bio-markers of evolution many a time, and the only time I was able to extinguish them was when I knocked them out with ether prior to sorting for traits and forgot about my brood over a weekend. Other than that, even my sorting damaged nary a one.

Fear not gentle reader, I still got top marks(98%?) in that biology class. I do not recall what I told the teacher about my fruit fly disaster, but it must have been a sound lie.

* I adore all forms of life. Okay, a lot fewer ticks and brain eating amoebae. I could also do without ebola virus which really is not alive on its own--so the side is only lighter as to being less dire than most of my posts as of late. I trust that this honest disclosure will restore my nearly universal adoration and awe of all things natural.

No comments :