Thursday, May 27, 2004

Sue me :)

I only have one political link to share. It's an important one as it either illustrates just how thoroughly adrift the U.S. policy in Iraq is, or how pragmatic we've become as the due date for 'transfer of authority' nears.

In a move seen by some as capitulation to Iraqi 'insurgents' - in this case to Muktada al-Sadr's Mehdi Army - it appears that the U.S. is withdrawing from Najaf with neither al-Sadr captured nor killed nor the Mehdi Army disbanded.

I think that this is more likely a move that the U.S. hopes is seen as a demonstration that after the 30 June 'transfer of power,' that the Iraqis will have more of a role in determining their future than they would have otherwise thought. Maybe I'm being a bit of a pollyanna, but I am optimistic that the U.S. will at some point begin to do what's right for a sovereign Iraq.

At least the killing has subsided in Najaf. A very welcome development.

Time will tell if this holds.

No comments :