Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Dubious bs.

I have noted that Google News has allowed a lot of un-newslike(?) sources into their links.

There was a discussion thread from Pravda a while back. Rushlimbaugh.com a 'news' outlet? Ya gotta be jokin.' Google apparently thinks so. I mean, the humans behind what is considered legitimate news and not.

When forum discussions and the tragically errant Rush Limbaugh are included alongside real news, I feel cheated.

I think I have a valid remedy. Seperate real news sources from the Limbaugh's, Townhall's, Pravda's and ALL op-eds.

I'm an equal opportunity discriminator. This should also apply to Salon, the Center for American Progress and others as well.

This is an example of how I might slice it up.

1) real news

2) op-eds from real news sources

3) e-zine articles

4) e-zine op-eds

5) everything else Google deems 'newsworthy'

This would be a snap for Google to implement. News sources would need to alter their code a bit to differentiate categories, but it would leave room for more content.

As it is now, an item of Limbaugh's sycophantic blather can achieve a better placement than a well researched hard news piece from the CS Monitor, That's just absurd.

No comments :