Monday, October 13, 2014

Top secret Android stuff..Nah, I got nothing I can share

Okay, so it's no secret at all. I think it's all very humorous that Android sites are still speculating about the Nexus (whatever Google decides to name the upcoming tablet) when the FCC has had the testing data available online for days now. nVidia has confirmed that the as yet officially named tablet is going to have a dual core K1 processor with the full complement of 192 CUDA stream cores intact. Oh yeah, the ARM based but nVidia developed SoC solution does support 64 bit addressing. All will be revealed this week. No doubt, there are sites benching the new Nexus tablet, but are under NDAs...I have seen leaked benchmarks of early efforts, but as the hardware and software solutions become more fully mature, things are certain to change. The Nexus (whatever) phone is going to start at xxx sans contract.

New Nexus 5s have been seen as low as $315.00 on ebay. Not nearly cheap enough for me, but a potential deal if one is looking for a phone to use abroad as the current listings are GSM. Google seems to holding steady at $349.00. I have heard some very solid pricing data on the various iterations of the two big device announcements coming this week, but I too will stay mute. All I can say is that tablet is way out of my price range. One can grab a Hisense Sero Pro 7 for under $90 new, and slightly less refurbished. It will seem dark and blurry compared to devices that cost 4x its modest price, but that's a very acceptable trade-off to anyone that really looks at the low value proposition of consumer grade electronics.

No comments :