Wednesday, October 08, 2014

nVidia Shield

I think that nVidia has done a really interesting thing with the new Tegra K1 Shield "Gaming Tablet." As my usual reader knows, I am a real cheapskate when it comes to consumer electronics. It is the K1's GPU benchmarks that are most fascinating. In benchmarks, it is a killer. Don't Be Evil Google is using the SoC(System on Chip) solution in the upcoming Nexus (tba), so nVidia has some momentum. For me, I cannot see spending 300USD on any tablet that will not run all programs I use in a given day, and seamlessly sync when I desire.

Thought about another way, this SoC design has more CPU/GPU power than both a PS3 and the XBox 360! In a tablet. This kind of processing power should be aimed at 4K displays. Just where does one find 4K video to stream? If I was a gamer, I might be tempted at 300 beans. Perhaps Black Friday will put one into my cheaper than oughtta be legal range, or perhaps Evil Google's next device will land in my price range.

No comments :