Saturday, October 11, 2014

Music, musicians, and me..Something completely different

First of all, I have to thank Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers for their latest: Hypnotic Eye. I know that I have made reference to this album either here or somewhere else on the Internets. Some of the tracks would have easily fit on Damn The Torpedoes. Others, not. After listening to this for a few months now I think I can place it in my Petty preference list. It is a better effort than my cherished early Petty records, DTPs, and You're Gonna Get It! It isn't as lovely as Wildflowers...which, while a TP & the HBers record, didn't list the band in the liner notes. Full Moon Fever and Into the Great Wide Open are both better to my warped sense of things than Hypnotic Eye, but it is all very close.

I love the straight up blues tune Burnt Out Town. Okay..I place Hypnotic Eye between Echo and Southern Accents.

I have a huge amount of respect for Tom Petty. He works with Dylan fer chrissakeas! I love The Traveling Wilburys, Mudcrutch, and of course Lonesome Town that the boys gave some fella named with..which is a nice segue into pepole that have played with Tom Petty. In 1994--arguably the best year for Tom Petty--he had this bloke on drums by the name of Dave Grohl...

I really have no idea how I remember asll this stuff. But there it is..

Of course Dave Grohl is the former Nirvana drummer and current frontman for Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl seems like a really decent human being..much like Petty in this regard. The Foos and Petty are the only two really actively working rock bands that I follow with anything like real interest.

A few more words before end this.. Wildflowers is by a huge margin my favorite non-grunge effort of that half decade of good American music. I might even put it in my twenty favorite albums of all time. The only comparable grunge records are Nevermind, In Utero, Pearl Jam's Ten and Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger.

For anyone that wants to believe that I have forgotten Alice In Chains' Dirt, you are wrong. AIC just is not grunge. Of all the 1990s records, Dirt is likely my favorite to listen to..but it's close.

Okay, I think I can simplify this a bit. Desert island.. twenty records..what's it gonna be?
Well, I cannot tell you all twenty, but four have been mentioned above. Nevermind, In Utero, Dirt, and Wildflowers would be there with me.

Too much about that..

Musicians and me..

I really should have spent more time time playing drums and less time getting high. Why? The answer is simple. One can only do so much in this life. Between learning stuff, expanding my noggin, and engaging in various activities designed to get me chicks, I had precious little time for anything else. But really, here is why:



Kanade can play much faster, but this has a really nice groove. 11 years old. Of course age has next to nothing to do with talnet. Either you have it, or you do not. I just hope that she is practicing because she wants to, not to fulfill the vicarious wishes of another. Rock on, Kanade!

No comments :