Saturday, March 27, 2004

Kerry's 10 Million Jobs Gambit

You've no doubt heard about John Kerry's ambitious plan to create 10 million jobs in four years. If you haven't, follow the link.

If the NRO's Kudlow thinks it's clever, it is bound to resonate well with voters.

Without getting into great detail, Kerry's plan repeals much of the Bush cuts for the wealthiest Americans, and uses the revenue to encourage corporate America to keep jobs here through a series of tax incentives.

I saved roughly 10% of my personal tax liability under Bush's plan. I am in favor of paying my old higher personal rate, in return for some services.

I have not spent a nickel of my tax reduction. I suspect that many others are in the same situation as I am. Bush's series of tax cuts in the face of huge increases in federal spending are the most fiscally irresponsible in my memory.

Whether or not Kerry's plan is the magic bullet to jumpstart job growth is unknown. I am inclined to think that it is not. There is too much of a wage differential between workers in the U.S. and workers in emerging regions to make it likely that a tax benefit package is likely -- by itself -- to keep jobs from being moved overseas. Or over our northern and southern borders.

I do applaud Kerry for making an attempt to keep jobs here. He is using the only real tool at his disposal. But I fear it will not be enough.

That Kerry is focused on job creation, and actually has a potentially viable plan set-up to stop the hemorrhaging of jobs out of the U.S. is certain to play well with voters.

Another side of the tax issue that we hear little about from our lying corporate media, is that in order to offset the loss of revenue form the federal level, state and municipal taxes have been raised..or services cut. Either option isn't particularly attractive, and I would make this an issue.

It is a big issue.

I could go on for days about the subject of progressive taxation, but I'll not bore my readers any longer than necessary.

I think you've had enough. :)

No comments :