Monday, March 15, 2004

Bush is really a one trick pony. How does the ad go? "Steady leadership in times of change." Yes, that's it.

What it means is rather nebulous. I think that is by design.

Kerry is trying, and I think that he has had some success in undermining Bush's "steady leadership" assertion.

I will say, that this election campaign is already pretty ugly. I'm not really proud of either man's conduct.

Kerry was bashing Bush on domestic security today, saying "Time and again, George Bush has failed to give those fighting the war on terror -- whether they're overseas or here -- the weapons, equipment, and support they need."

"When it comes to protecting America from terrorism, this administration is big on bluster and short on action. But as we saw again last week in Spain, real action is what we need."

I think Kerry's really overstating the case here, but if I wasn't as well informed, I'd be likely to listen to what he's saying. What he is saying is that W is not the guy to protect you. I am.

Striking first has its advantages. The Bush team is likely off-guard by the Kerry attacks. These are pretty serious charges Kerry is leveling at Bush. If they go unresponded, they'll likely resonate well with voters -- regardless of their accuracy.

There is definitely blood in the water. This is likely to be a bare-knuckle slugfest before it's over.

No comments :