Wednesday, September 24, 2014

whyPhone 6 bends..and breaks!

I still don't understand the whyPhone phenonemon. Only days after putting the device in the hands of users, users are complaining about bending phones. Engadget gets downright surly linking to a Youtube vid that a user put their test model to the point of failure, but aluminum being aluminum, repeated stressors will achieve the same effect. Of course Apple is likely to offer a "Gusset and Rollcage" package for only $199.00 to keep your new phone from warping.

In all fairness, I am certain that I could break most any mobile, but I treat the things as truly utilitarian devices.

Apple has not promoted this as a "feature" as some users have twisted their week old devices into broken screen chic neckwear. Yep. If you flex the phone enough, the super duper 6 Plus screen--corundum and all--will break. Apple's cure? Screen repairs cost $109 for an iPhone 6 and $129 for the iPhone 6 Plus, in addition to a $6.95 shipping fee. If, however, you were smart enough to anticipate shattering your screen and paid the extra $99 AppleCare+ warranty fee, Apple will replace your screen for $79. I can see that this is going to be a huge issue. Apple should give out a free reinforcing device, or take the phones back at the customer's request.

AppleCare+ costs $75 more than I paid for my semi-unlocked LG l34C. Yes, I know it is listed as a StraightTalk only phone, but I was able to go with my preferred carrier without jailbreaking the little phone. My phone cannot do as much as much as an iPhone, but KitKat is pretty danged close. I have no NFC!!! But I paid $24.88 on a super duper deal.

No comments :