Friday, June 13, 2014

I may have Lyme..No, seriously.

After my tirade about Lyme or borrelosis, or whatever medicine ultimately calls the typically tick vectored disease, your humble blogger may have been infected. I removed an adult I. scapularis earlier today. I cannot fathom how the tick got through my multi-layered tick defenses. Nonetheless, the little arachnid got through, and 'got me good.' I am on doxycycline prophylaxis right now.

The offending tick was DOA. This is where reality and the CDC part company. The tick was confirmed as an adult, and while I was telling my arachnid tale of woe, the APRN concurred with my observation that adult I. scapularis do indeed have the capacity to transmit Lyme to humans. Her other degree is as a PhD entomologist.

While it was no fun BEING the news, it was good to see what laypersons here in NH have long suspected--and some knew--borne out. I should note that my vitals were checked, and my BP was high at 150/80, and my temperature was low at 87.6 F. Since my visit, I have checked my BP, and it now reads 119/66. Stressors have always given me spikes in BP that are short in duration.

Given my low temperature reading, it is likely that the possible infection hasn't yet provoked a typical immune response. This was good news. The bite area(center of sternum)shows much inflammation, and the possible beginnings of the erythema migrans rash typical of Lyme.

I knew I was at risk, so I did everything that I could to lessen the likelihood of getting bitten. Okay, the one thing that I refuse to do is to stay indoors. Here's what I have done:

1) Applied permethrin to clothing and gear

2) Applied 40% DEET to boots, pants, and exposed skin

3) Performed tick checks after each outdoor excursion

4) Stayed out of areas with leaf litter and other tick harboring areas

5) Showered after going out of doors

There appears but one way to avoid tick bites: stay inside. I am still befuddled as to how the tick managed to burrow so deeply in what must have been a relatively sort amount of time.

Ticks are supposed to be an indicator of a healthy ecosystem. I agree with this right up to the time I get bitten. I am no alarmist, but the incidence of vector-borne diseases of all kinds are on the rise in the US. Will a time come when every first-aid kit will contain antibiotics? How about anti-virals, like Acyclovir? I'll be honest, I keep a stock of Chlorhexidine gluconate handy for an AB wash. I don't use it frivolously. If the faeces ever contacts the oscillator--and I for one, am not counting on it--preparation will be key to short and long-term survival.

Don't read this and think I'm an anti-government crackpot. It is not the continuance or fear of government that motivates my preparatory activities. I'd like to see humanity reduced by say 70%. I just don't want to be in that 70%.

Less weirdness later.

No comments :