Thursday, June 05, 2014

Blog Name Change and some Tech. Babble


First of all, I am changing the blog's name. I know not what at present, but I don't want a "me, too" type of name. I have been working on the new Stylesheet, but Blogger and "don't be evil" Google seem to always find some way to break my CSS. If you look at my page source, you'll see that there is a lot of perfectly usable CSS that is maddeningly difficult to incorporate it into the latest Blogger software. Oh, it's easy enough to dump in there, but it doesn't display the way it would on, say, a less script heavy format. My pages used to display wonderfully. I used to keep my CSS current with Blogger updates, so all it took was a wee bit of tampering to have my pages appear well across browsers of any sort. I may simply open a new Blog to use as a CSS testbed. That really reeks of a disingenuous use of an ostensibly free resource, but what's a custom CSS developer to do? Too much about that.

In technology today, I found some interesting stuff.

Apple unveils new Prog. Lang.

WIRED reports programmers went "nuts" over the presentation. I yawned. Apple should support open standards. Ruby and Python are proven, and developers like working with them. "Objective-C" is new-ish, and doesn't seem to offer anything in the way of newer, better, faster, stronger, codebase development for guys like me, for instance. For almost half a year, I have been working on a email plug-in that might revolutionize the way in which people deal with a certain aspect of email nuisances. I have written it in Extensible Markup Language(XML), as well as in every language that requires special case handling to account for the differences in mail clients and/or operating systems. Sorry about that digression. Getting back on track.. I hope Apple coders like the new language, but Apple should have made the best of all moves, and used an open programming language. OpenCL and OpenGL simply aren't that open. This is really only an issue for game developers and those really tweaking UIs, but still, come on! These things are only truly open if they're supported at the hardware level, not through porting, or worse, emulation. Eek!

In other tech. news, it finally looks like Amazon is FINALLY going to be launching the long rumored "smartphone" on 18, June. I wish Bezos and Amazon well. It looks to be a 3D phone..I really don't know why that's so interesting. It very much reminds me of Douglas Adams's pronouncement: "Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea..." In all seriousness, smartphones aren't all that. Call me a techno-snob if you wish. Many others have. So the phone is going to have projection capabilities. It seems only natural as Amazon had to do SOMETHING to differentiate itself from the pack. Of course Amazon does have something of a built-in userbase of millions and millions of shoppers. My forecast is that Amazon is will use existing hardware platforms--a new processor design and any attendant major tweaks to the "support staff" would not have escaped this blogger's attention--and will sell for at most 150 USD...at launch.

There was a lot more that I noted yesterday and today, but this is not a technology blog. I get enough of that at the office.

Science later!